As a specialist in your field, whether it’s in IT, finance, policy, research or information governance, you need the ability to give advice and pass on your knowledge to colleagues and senior stakeholders who might not be familiar with the topics you know well.
Our Communicating and Presenting Complex Information training course has been specifically designed to help people in technical or specialist job roles convey their knowledge in a much clearer and understandable way.
Learn the skills and proven communication techniques that ensure you are clearly understood when speaking or presenting infographics, data visualisations, written reports or online posts.
Through interactive workshops gain the tools and techniques to communicate clearly, effortlessly and efficiently and be understood by peers and senior stakeholders.
Alan Rutter is a journalist, digital consultant, product owner and trainer.
He oversaw the iPad edition launches of Wired, GQ, Vanity Fair and Vogue in the UK, and has been working with Condé Nast International as product owner on a bespoke digital asset management system for their 11 global markets.
Until November 2014 he worked with Guardian Masterclasses on curating and delivering new course strands and teaching their B2B data visualisation courses for clients including the Financial Conduct Authority, the Home Office, Novartis, Haringey Council and Gloucestershire Police Constabulary.
Previously he was ...
Trainer’s Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
Understanding your Audience
- Identifying the motivations, needs and levels of comprehension
- Assessing data literacy, technical comprehension and subject matter expertise
- Scientific approaches to framing, metaphors and comparisons
- Mapping the journey from communication to action
- Translating jargon and specialist terminology into plain English
- Breaking down verbose text into easily understandable chunks
- Using headlines and subheads to allow readers to scan
- Finding the right tone for your written communications
Creating and Delivering Presentations
- Building a step-by-step narrative to present to different audiences
- Structuring and designing presentations
- Developing verbal and non-verbal presentation skills
- Common pitfalls in presentations and how to overcome them
- Trainer will review the day’s learning and the next stages of the course
- Delegates will have time to ask questions and share views with one another
Design and Visuals
- Sourcing powerful images for your communications
- Understanding design hierarchies to grab attention and lead the viewer
- Building infographics and data visualisations
- Gain free (and cheap) resources for visual design