This past year has been one of the most challenging for public sector organisations. 41% of employees are experiencing mental health issues caused by work.
Practicing mindfulness techniques can help reduce stress and anxiety levels.
Mindfulness means paying attention to the present moment in an accepting self-compassionate way. It is a practice that can improve focus, agility, and overall performance at work.
This public-sector focused Practicing Mindfulness at Work course provides you with the necessary tools and guidance needed to develop a realistic, sustainable set of techniques to embed mindfulness within your organisation.
Leave the day with a working model and action plan to take back to your organisation to ensure good practice. Be your best self at work and create a healthy working environment where everybody can thrive.
Nicola is an experienced Senior Civil Servant, trainer, facilitator, and mindfulness teacher. With a background in learning and development, she worked in the voluntary sector and for the Open University before joining Central Government as an Education Advisor to prisons in England and Wales. Since then, Nicola has worked in a number of high profile roles within the Prison Service and the Ministry of Justice, including leading negotiations with the Youth Justice Board for the provision of custodial places for young people; setting up and leading the first Cross-Departmental Strategy Unit for Women in the Criminal Justice system; and ...
Welcome and Registration
Trainer's Introduction and Clarification of Learning Objectives
Why Use Mindfulness in the Workplace?
- Identify the need
- Explore the science of modern-day stress
- Understand the current issues facing organisations and employees
- Learn and practice the breathing space exercise for everyday stress
Changing Your Mindset
- Learn about behaviour patterns and routines
- Determine how unpleasant events and the associated negative emotions affect your judgement
- Understand the differences between thoughts, feelings, and behaviour to enhance decision-making
- Identify negative thinking patterns and foster a positive workplace culture
Good Practice: How to Practice Mindfulness
- Establish a framework for good practice
- Establish realistic, sustainable, and practical mindfulness techniques
- Avoid common pitfalls and knowledge gaps when practicing mindfulness
- Learn how to use mindfulness in your work, including managing your teams or during a meeting
Workshop: Mindfulness Exercises
- Understand the importance of the breath
- Desk-based postures exercises
- Anchor your presence: body-scan technique
Interactive Workshop: Putting the Knowledge into Practice
- Demonstrate what you have learned
- Identify issues when practicing mindfulness exercises
- Explore how to work with challenges
- Develop appropriate strategies
- Feedback to the group
Developing Your Action Plan
- Relate the information to your context
- Identify actions to begin your mindfulness project