Records and information are the lifeblood of any organisation. They are the basis on which decisions are made, services provided and policies developed and communicated.’
This Effective Records and Information Management course has been designed to provide you with the latest information to improve the management of your organisations records.
With General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) now in force, it is essential that you have the most effective records and information management procedures in place.
Gain actionable strategies for transferring to, and managing digital records. Leave the day with the knowledge to excel in information management, and take away practical guidance for the retention and deletion of records.
Scott is an experienced and qualified practitioner & coach in the management and governance of information and data having worked and volunteered for 14+ years in the profession. Starting his career in Local Government, Scott has since worked across both the private and public sectors (both large and small) and gained experience, knowledge and/or qualifications working with information governance frameworks applicable in the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man, and wider European context. From 2016-2020 Scott was Chair of the Information and Records Management Society (IRMS) and now volunteers as their lead on professional development including Accreditation, Mentoring, Apprenticeships and ...
Trainer’s Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
The ICO, Records Management and GDPR
- Learn from the ICO on records management
- Records management in compliance with GDPR
- Understand other relevant records management legislation
Instilling an Effective Records Management Culture
- Effective cultural change: achieving buy in from management, and getting everyone to understand the importance of effective records management
- Understanding the terminology used in records management
- Benefits and risks associated with records management
- How records management assists compliance with GDPR and other legal requirements
Transferring to Digital Records: Overcoming Challenges of Digitalised Forms of Record Keeping
- Learn how to transition to paperless
- Develop effective scanning techniques and categorising of records to ensure the usability of your digital records
- Develop techniques for managing digital records, including email
- Digitising paper records – benefits and risks
- Digital preservation – ensuring records are preserved for the long term
Case Study: Effective Records Management in Action
- Learn what the Freedom of Information Section 46 Code of Practice tells us about successful records management programmes
- Identify what records your organisation needs to keep
- Learn techniques for getting control over your information
- Maintaining an effective audit trail of your records
- Ensuring that records are kept securely
- Utilise the National Archives self-assessment tool to review progress
Workshop: Developing Retention Schedules and Disposal Policies
This extended workshop session, will give you the practical guidance to develop more effective retention schedules.
- Identify what records should be retained and when to delete
- Ensure your retention schedule complies with the GDPR
- Disposing of records securely and correctly
- Develop a more effective retention plan to your organisation
- Ensure that your retention schedule reflects the needs of your organisation
- Understand the different kinds of retention schedules and their strengths and weaknesses
- Apply your retention schedule in the most effective way