Remote working is going to be a central feature for all organisations for the foreseeable future, therefore developing better engagement, leadership and management strategies now can help your team thrive in the future.
This virtual Advanced Remote Team Leadership and Management course helps you improve your policies and processes that support your team, foster productivity, and avoid staff burn out. Learn how to identify behavioural issues that arise in remote work environments and deploy emotional intelligence, empathy, and coaching techniques to optimise performance.
Through a range of workshops and public sector focused case studies, this course provides you with a suite of advanced tools and long-term skills to remotely manage people and relationships effectively.
“I really found this course valuable, and so well organised. Considering we were discussing remote meetings/management etc. seeing Zoom being used to its best capacity with everyone staying engaged and communicative has given me a lot of confidence”. Senior Community Fundraising Executive, Wood Green, The Animals Charity
“The course provided timely advice and guidance on issues around leading and managing teams remotely. The style was friendly, inclusive, and relevant and was very effective on the Zoom format”. – School Admissions Manager, Northamptonshire County Council
Unlocking the Power of Virtual
Our virtual courses have been designed with you in mind. From group exercises in breakout rooms to live chat, whiteboards and interactive polls, we use a range of tools and techniques to ensure that you can connect with your trainer; network and share best practice with your peers and leave the day with the skills you need.
Our courses provide you with an interactive and engaging learning environment that can be accessed from any location, helping you to continue to connect, learn and grow. Click here to discover more!
Please note we will be using Zoom to deliver this course.
Duncan is a senior director with over 30 years of experience in the publishing industry, as well as a decade as a Vice Chair and Non-Executive Director of an NHS Trust. He is also group leader and councillor at West Oxfordshire District Council, and spent a decade close to government on their National Policy Forum. Duncan is an experienced director, influencer and communicator who has been both elected and appointed to senior roles in NHS, policy and local government. He is used to analysing complex situations and communicating aims to persuade, influence, drive change, optimise performance and improve team understanding. Read more
Trainer's Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
Remote and Hybrid Working: Manage Risks Successfully
- Benchmark your existing remote working practices against other organisations
- Discuss and overcome the challenges – for employees, for organisation
- Consider potential practical, privacy and security issues
- Manage increased cybersecurity and data protection risks when working remotely
- Map out your remote working journey: past, present and future
- Develop an outline remote working policy
Excel at Managing and Leading in a Remote Environment
- The difference between management and leadership, how to achieve both
- Know the key leadership styles available to you, and when to use them
- Understand the need to be flexible and emotionally intelligent in your management approaches and leadership styles
- Identify areas of your behaviour and style that require development, and how to improve
- Performance management, managing difficult conversations, giving praise remotely
Excel at Remote Communication with Staff
- Replicate the office – or not? Mapping processes and relationships to replicate or change
- Consider software options, tools, and techniques to maximise strong remote working
- Ensure optimum communication with team members
- Negotiate remotely, making clear decisions and carrying them out
- Combat isolation and loneliness through building community
Successful Remote Meetings
- Consider why we meet at all
- Explore technology options for remote meetings
- Discover the rules of remote meetings: how to be more effective on a call than in a room
- Understand essential preparation for the chair, including agenda and time management
- Discuss the challenges and opportunities of remote meetings
- Take away transferable knowledge and skills to apply to your teams and organisation
- Trainer will review the day’s learning and the next stages of the course
- Delegates will have time to ask questions and share views with one another
Coaching Conversations: Using Emotional Intelligence
- Understand the value of the coaching style of leadership
- Review the coaching process: how it works, and how it works remotely
- Gain techniques to avoid staff burnout
- Use coaching conversations with audio or video technology to support team members
- Explore the ALIVE© Process – Case Study of a remote development program
Workshop: Develop a More Robust Remote Working Management Development Plan
Develop your own list of priorities, and share them for feedback from the tutor and the group. Refine this into a plan over time: what now, what next, and where to next. Build an action plan to implement at work.