Data is information that can often be hard to digest. To help your audience understand and engage with your data, connect them to it through storytelling.
You might be an expert in the data and what that information has to offer, but your audience often isn’t. Our Telling Stories with Data course will teach you simple techniques to improve your communication skills, so that you can present your data with maximum impact to drive actions and influence change.
Through real-world examples and expert advice, leave the day with the confidence to craft any complex data into a compelling, impactful story that will drive action.
Alan Rutter is a journalist, digital consultant, product owner and trainer.
He oversaw the iPad edition launches of Wired, GQ, Vanity Fair and Vogue in the UK, and has been working with Condé Nast International as product owner on a bespoke digital asset management system for their 11 global markets.
Until November 2014 he worked with Guardian Masterclasses on curating and delivering new course strands and teaching their B2B data visualisation courses for clients including the Financial Conduct Authority, the Home Office, Novartis, Haringey Council and Gloucestershire Police Constabulary.
Previously he was ...
Trainer’s Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
Beauty Versus Function
- How to balance clarity with attention-grabbing visuals
- A repeatable framework for creating successful visualisations
- Understand the current data visualisation landscape using industry examples
Tailoring to Your Audience
- How to identify the best way to present to various types of stakeholders
- Understand the advantages and constraints of different types of presentations
- Learn techniques for introducing transparency, without over-complicating the communication
Data Visualisation Styles
- Common problems with chart types and how to fix them
- Matching graph and chart styles to the purpose of your visual
- How to structure and design infographics by using the right tools
Professional Design Techniques
- Best practice in business dashboard design
- Understand how the text and visual elements work together
- How to use layers and step-by-step reveals to develop a story
- Less is more: how to reduce clutter and focus on the key message
- Learn techniques to pitch your data with clarity and impact
- Refine the beginning, middle and end of your narrative
- Common challenges and pitfalls and how to overcome them
- Gathering feedback and measuring the impact of your communication