As a Data Protection Officer (DPO) you are at the forefront of understanding, managing, and advising on data protection issues within your organisation. You must often carry out this role with limited support and technical guidance.
Our Excelling in the Role of Data Protection Officer training course has been specifically designed to help you as a DPO to successfully manage your increased workload, responsibilities and embed information governance best practices.
Gain a firmer understanding of the Data Protection and Digital Information Bill’s impact on your organisation. Take away a DPO toolkit full of tools and techniques to comply with GDPR, Data Protection Act and the ICO Data Sharing Code of Practice; better manage and handle data breaches and understand how to carry out data protection impact assessments.
Leave the day with a DPO toolkit to help you better perform your duties.
Lynn is the Information Governance Manager at Leicester City Council. Having previously worked as an MP and MEP’s political assistant, Lynn moved to her local council where she now oversees the Council’s Information Governance agenda including data protection, FOI, information sharing, RIPA and CCTV.
She has also helped health organisations with their information governance procedures.
Lynn is the author of two books, A Practical Guide to Handling Freedom of Information Requests and Data Protection: Compliance in Practice.
Trainer’s Welcome and Clarification of Learning Objectives
The DPO Role and Data Protection Legislation
- Gain a quick overview of data protection regulation: DPA Act 2018, GDPR, FOI and revised ICO Data Sharing Code of Practice
- Discuss the potential impact of the Data Protection and Digital Information Bill for you and your organisation
- What does the legislation say about being a DPO?
- Understand key roles and responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with data protection regulation
DPO and Your Organisation
- Engender an appreciation of data protection within your organisation
- Make the DPO role stand out within your organisation
- Confidently communicate data protection advice to senior management
- Develop effective training programmes for your staff
Embedding Effective Information Sharing Techniques
- Apply the ICO’s Data Sharing Code of Practice
- Establish when data sharing is necessary
- Understand and apply the lawful basis for information sharing
- Develop effective working partnership with other organisations to securely share data
- Identify and overcome cultural barriers to sharing information
- Review relevant Information Sharing Agreements
Managing and Reducing Personal Data Breaches
- Learn how to identify a data breach
- Understand when to report a data breach
- Effectively respond to a data breach
- Understand how to prevent a data breach
Designing an Effective Data Protection Impact Assessment (DPIA)
- Gain an overview of data protection impact assessments
- Examine bad and best practice examples
- Learn when to carry out a data protection impact assessment
Workshop: Designing a DPO Toolkit
- Ensure full compliance with data protection regulation
- Develop strategies to enhance your organisation’s information governance procedures
- Learn how to mitigate and manage privacy risks
- Learn how to communicate with the ICO
- Take back a DPO toolkit to your organisation